Poison Prevention Week is March 20-26, the perfect time to identify poisoning hazards that might injure your grandchildren.
Before she could crawl, Amelia was the most content baby ever. She happily sat and watched the world go on around her, rarely fussing or making demands. Everyone who met her said the same thing: “She’s such a good baby!” And she was! Her parents quickly got used to the fact that she was no trouble at all.
And then she got mobile, and the trouble started. She got into everything, and the more dangerous it was, the quicker she found it. After months of having a perfectly behaved baby, her parents weren’t ready for one who tried to defy death on a regular basis. Even their best attempts at baby-proofing couldn’t keep her from finding hazards. They had the number for poison control on speed dial, and used it regularly. Luckily, despite her best attempts, Amelia (and her parents!) lived through all her misadventures.
The moral of this story is that babies and children, no matter how well-behaved they are, can get into trouble when we least expect it. As grandparents, we are often even less prepared for mischief: our homes are full of hazards. With Poison Prevention Week coming up March 20-26, I want to challenge you to check your house and secure any poisoning hazards now, before the next time your grandchildren are in your home.
There are three steps to protecting your grandchildren from accidental poisoning in your home:
1. Know what’s dangerous. Below, we’ve provided a list of some of the most common causes of poisoning. It’s not exhaustive, so go through your home and look for other items that may be harmful.
2. Secure all potentially hazardous substances. Remember, no container is 100% childproof. Keep all dangerous substances in their original containers and out of reach of children. Even better, keep them out of sight to reduce any temptation. Consider child safety latches on cupboards that contain hazardous items, even if they are above a child’s reach.
3. Program the number for Poison Help into your phone: 1-800-222-1222. Do it right now! (I just did it myself!)
Take a few minutes and find a safer place for the following common causes of accidental poisoning in children:
Medications. If you have your daily medications in a handy pill organizer (as many grandparents do), you need to make sure it is consistently put away where your grandchildren can’t see or reach it. Medications are the leading cause of child poisoning, and up to 20 percent of pediatric poisonings involve a grandparent’s medication. Make sure all medications, both prescription and over the counter, are out of sight and out of reach. This includes homeopathic and herbal remedies.
Household cleaners. Cleaners should be stored on a high shelf, out of reach and out of sight.
Dishwasher tabs. These shiny little nuggets look like candy to children.
Laundry pods. Like dishwasher tabs, these colorful pods appeal to curious children.
Tobacco and e-cigarette products.
Alcohol. This includes rubbing alcohol, spirits and hand sanitizer.
Pesticides and insect repellents. Make sure you check the yard and garage as well.
Button batteries. These are found in hearing aids, key fobs, books with music or sounds, etc.
Oils and lubricants. In addition to engine oil and others in the garage, think about fragrance oils, essential oils, etc.
Personal care products. Secure contact lens disinfectants, mouthwash, and other items that contain toxic ingredients.
Securing your home is just one part of the equation for grandparents.
You also need to be vigilant is when you visit your grandchild. Do you have medication in your purse? Make sure it’s not within reach, even if you are just stopping by. If you are staying overnight, don’t leave medications or other harmful substances in your suitcase where they can be found.
Smart grandparents make sure that they are up-to-date on health and safety issues. Make sure you’ve read our other posts on What Grandparents Need to Know, and get New Grandparent Essentials for even more information!
Was this post helpful? Share it with a friend!